Wednesday, August 26, 2009

For your consideration...and mine

I've been thinking on the idea of my BFA project, which I mentioned momentarily in a post before.

Let me catch you up....

I want to make a book of nothing.

There now you are caught up. But seriously, I want to create this large scale book, around 18hx24w when opened. Obviously 18x12 when closed. Or there abouts in the dimensions. I see it as being elaborately decorated on the outside of the book, and some kind of elaborate pedestal for it to rest upon. But when viewed, the pages are blank. Seemingly. I think it would be possible to create images within the paper using the watermarking process and embossing text, just not using any ink, so the images are there but hidden. I have a few concepts I am tossing around for the creation of this imagery. I also feel that this could be done in such a way that the majority of the pages have nothing on them, and only in maybe one corner next to the interior of the pages one visible thing...

I'm not sure really. It's a fresh development. I've much to consider. My Art History teacher also suggested yesterday not actually making anything. ha!

My response to this was, "But it's my BFA show, I have to make SOMETHING."

To which he responded with "no you could actually go through all of the processes, like running the letterpress, but not actually printing anything."

So that could also be kind of cool. A photo documentation of me "making" this book, but not actually making a book. Interesting. I have a lot of reading and research ahead of me. But I'm pretty excited about this. I think it has the potential to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment